Hiccough consists in a spasmodic contraction of the diaphragm, by which the air is suddenly drawn in, causing that sound peculiar to hiccough.
The spasmodic contraction is most often reflex, from the stomach, liver, kidney, etc. The heart rests immediately upon the diaphragm, hence, repeated spasmodic contraction of it leads to repeated jerks upon the heart and therefore is exhaustion. Hiccough therefore is of very important.
Its causes may be
- Of a cerebral origin, as in diseases of brain,
- The consequence of anaemia, from long-standing, weakening diseases, after great loss of blood and vital fluids,
- Of strong mental affections, like fright, anger, etc.
- It maybe a mere reflex from diseases of the pleura or pericardium,
- It may accompany different affections of the stomach, the liver, the intestinal canal.
- If it takes place in consequence of exhausting diseases like tuberculosis, typhoid, cholera, pleurisy, with abundant exudation, large abscesses etc, it is always a dangerous symptom.
When continued for days and may be the forerunner of a fatal issue. But hysterical hiccough or that found in children is not of much consequence.
Bryonia: hiccough worse any movement.
Cinchona Officinalis(China): hiccough with flatulency and sore belching.
HYocyamus Niger: hiccough after abdominal operations; violent hiccough at night.
Ignatia Amara: from emotional disturbances; after smoking tobacco.
Nux Vomica: hiccough after cold drinks, over-eating, from tobacco.
|BRYONIA ALBA 30C - 400 Pellets (4dm)||1008752||8907460087522|
|CINCHONA OFFICINALIS 30C - 400 Pellets (4dm)||1013852||8907460138521|
|HYOSCYAMUS NIGER 30C - 400 Pellets (4dm)||1022852||8907460228529|
|IGNATIA AMARA 30C - 400 Pellets (4dm)||1023252||8907460232526|
|NUX VOMICA 30C - 400 Pellets (4dm)||1031752||8907460317520|