Vomiting or emesis occurs due to stimulation of vomiting center.
This is a complicated reflex through oesophagus, larynx and the mouth (sometimes through nose a well).
Vomiting may be caused by ingestion of spoiled food, by seasickness or irritation arising in the body (diseases of the gastro-intestinal tract, liver, kidneys etc.)
In most cases vomiting is preceded by nausea and sometimes hypersalivation.
If the patient is s complaining of vomiting the physician should inquire about the time when the vomiting occurred, possible connection with meals, associated with pain, the amount and
character of the vomited material.
- Morning vomiting with the expulsion of much mucus is characteristic of chronic gastritis, especially in alcoholics.
- Vomiting occurring 10-15 mins after eating suggests ulcer or cancer of cardiac part of stomach or acute gastritis.
- If vomiting occurs 2-3 hours after meals, it may indicate ulcer or cancer of the stomach body.
- If vomiting occurs 4-6 hours after meals, it may indicate the presence of ulcer in the pyloric part of the stomach or duodenum.
- Expulsion of food taken a day or two before is characteristic of pyloric stenosis.
- Patients with peptic ulcer often vomit at the height of the pain thus removing it, which is typical of the disease.
The odour of the vomit is usually acid, but it can often be fetid, depending on the time of expulsion, after food consumption.
Aethusa Cynapium: intolerance of milk, vomit out as soon as swallowed or in large curds; with sweat and great weakness.
Arsenicum Album: desire for cold drink and food which are vomited at once; vomiting of all food or drink as soon as they reach stomach.
Ipecacuanha: intense nausea; profuse salivation; thirstlessness; clean tongue; vomits food, bile, blood, mucus.
Iris Versicolor: vomiting, sour, bloody, billary; profuse salivation; periodical spells of vomiting.
Lobilia Inflata: continuous nausea with constant flow of saliva; profuse sweating; cold sweat on face.
Nux Vomica: nausea in morning; feeling as if vomiting would bring great relief.
Phosphorus: vomiting of water as soon as it gets warm in stomach; desire everything icy-cold; regurgitation by mouthfuls.
Pulsatilla: nausea and vomiting with bad taste in mouth; aggravation in evening, after eating or drinking; better in open air; thirstlessness.
Veratrum Album: copious vomiting; aggravated by drinking and least motion; excessive nausea; violent thirst; cold sweat on forehead.
|AETHUSA CYNAPIUM 30C - 400 Pellets (4dm)||1000952||8907460009524|
|ARSENICUM ALBUM 30C - 400 Pellets (4dm)||1005052||8907460050526|
|IPECACUANHA 30C - 400 Pellets (4dm)||1023752||8907460237521|
|IRIS VERSICOLOR 30C - 400 Pellets (4dm)||1024052||8907460240521|
|LOBELIA INFLATA 30C - 400 Pellets (4dm)||1027752||8907460277527|
|NUX VOMICA 30C - 400 Pellets (4dm)||1031752||8907460317520|
|PHOSPHORUS 30C - 400 Pellets (4dm)||1033652||8907460336521|
|PULSATILLA 30C - 400 Pellets (4dm)||1035752||8907460357526|
|VERATRUM ALBUM 30C - 400 Pellets (4dm)||1045552||8907460455529|